About this project
In August 2016, I received an unlikely phone call. Evan McMullin, an unknown former CIA agent and chief policy advisor to the Republicans in the US House of Representatives, was running for President of the United States as an independent, and his campaign manager—Joel Searby—wanted to know if we would help.
I was charged with overseeing the campaign’s digital organizing strategy, including website design and content, lead acquisition, digital advertising, email marketing, online fundraising, and pretty much any other aspect of the campaign that involved software or the internet.
I had no time to waste (start to finish the campaign was just twelve weeks), so I didn’t waste any. I was given broad autonomy to generate ideas, make decisions, and get things done.
- Digital Strategy & Online Fundraising
- NationBuilder Expert Consulting
- NationBuilder Website Design
- NationBuilder Website Development
Key Details & Stats:
- We went from start to launch in just three days.
96% of the money raised on the McMullin for President Campaign was raised online.
- Nearly 19% of all online fundraising came from supporters who signed up in the first 24 hours of the campaign.
- Our email program’s performance far exceeded industry averages, including an all-time “Open Rate” of 30.8%, an “Unsubscribe Rate” of just 0.4%, and a spam complaint rate of just 0.1%.
- Each new email address had an average value of $15.49 over the life of the campaign. For every dollar spent on email acquisition, the campaign would raise nearly $8 in return. Digital ads were effectively printing money.
Awards & Recognition:
- Best Use of a Donation Page (2017 Pollie Awards Winner)
- Best Website — Overall (2017 Reed Awards Winner)
- Best Online Fundraising Program (2017 Reed Awards Finalist)
- Best Website — Presidential (2017 Reed Awards Finalist)